DC ACM Executive Board Meeting Minutes: August 27, 2012
7:00 PM @ Radio Free Asia (RFA)
Present: Andrew Conklin, Chair
Gene Lloyd, Vice-Chair
James Imanian, Treasurer
Howie Harrell, Secretary
Lougenia Bailey, Communications Committee Chair
Eric Noriega, Professional Development Committee Chair
Simson Garfinkel, Member-at-Large
Isaac Christofferson, Immediate Past Chair
* Meeting called to order at 7:00 by chair
- Possible new meeting and/or event locations:
- Turned down by Google-DC >Keep trying
- Data DC has a larger-sized venue >Might try them also
- Organizers: Andrew has placed a few strategic links.
- 100+ people + couple of experts
- Tech/non-tech behind the Shield Act
- Warning: Be aware of potential “patent trolls”
- Happy Hour with ACM Public Policy person(s)?
- DC Nite Owls: > 500 people signed up
- ACM has 95 people on MeetUp
- Gene identified Dr. Arun Sood as confirmed to speak on September 5th
- Dr. Sood will discuss self-cleaning and intrusion tolerance issues
- The above topic involves virtual boxes
- Feeding DC Tech Events
Noted that some of the material is difficult to digitize
We want to keep journals
Nothing newer than about seven years
2 File Cabinets: A scrap metal dealer might want to take these off our hands
It is now down to two shelves of boxes, and an overhead projector.
Post Office Box:
Dupont Circle Business Incubator (DCBI) will be the location for Executive Council meetings beginning in October 2012; DCBI could also provide a permanent address
* Annual Budget Report –
$180 under Mailing & Postage, for the old PO Box
Office Supplies, listed under Programs
$1,250 budget last year
Expenses were $1,600; Income, $900
$700 can now be eliminated, for Storage
Ideas: Reach out to other [groups]: Conferences, Raffles [at events/meetings], etc.
Brief rehash of Communities of Practice, Professional Development, and Civic Participation
General [budgetary/financial] concerns:
$1,000 bank fees
Event Brite and Google Checkout – Take 5-10% in fees
What about new local startup, Eventster?
There is no regulatory limit on expenses; but if we make too much income, it must be reported to ACM National.
Strategic Objectives meeting? Vision, etc.?
- Any action taken:
Post Office Box will be closed out
Disposition of storage lot to be completed within a few months
- Conversations that were tabled until next time
- MOTION to table discussion of Strategic Objectives
Seconded and passed unanimously.
* Meeting adjourned at 8:20.
Minutes submitted by Howie Harrell